Wednesday, September 17, 2014

"O Africa"

I love to read. So I thought it would be fun as part of my blog to read some books and write reviews for you. I am so excited to do this, because reading is an extremely relaxing experience for me. So here is  my first book review.

I am reviewing the book "O Africa" by Andrew Lewis Conn

I was initially very excited to start this book. I love historical fiction and I love film so I thought this would be a delight to read. Sadly I was mistaken. The author is very wordy and often seems to reach to find big impressive words to describe scenes and people, when the story doesn't always call for it. 

When I read something I like to be taken in quickly. I am usually thinking about the book through out my day and can't wait til I have a chance to read it again. With "O Africa," I actually couldn't wait to put the book down. The back story and character development was just too slow for me. I was bored reading unnecessary wordy descriptions. The story wasn't really starting so I couldn't get sucked in like I normally do. 

I found myself easily distracted by what was going on around me and having to re read several sections because I just couldn't focus on where the author was going. Being an avid book reader this was very frustrating to me. I wouldn't recommend this book because I personally found it to be a waste of my time.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment