Monday, September 29, 2014

"A Love Undone" by Cindy Woodsmall

Hey everybody. I've have another book review for you. I have to admit, I REALLY enjoy reading about the Amish. I find their lifestyle incredibly fascinating. They is something nice about the simplicity of how they live. I enjoy reading about them and transporting myself into their world. So this week I read a book about an Amish family.
                                                        cover design by Kelly L Howard

"A Love Undone" by Cindy Woodsmall


A Love Undone is a story about a big Amish family who seems to have everything going for them. The eldest daughter Jolene is about to get married to the love of her life and her parents are getting ready to send her off to a new community far from home. Jolene has five younger siblings. Two weeks before Jolene's wedding, tragedy strikes and Jolene's life is turned upside down. The bright future she thought she had before her changed in a moment.

The story moves forward quickly and gives great insight into the Amish culture. Jolene has to figure out how to grow up fast and take on roles that she wasn't ready for. I really enjoyed the writing style of this book. It painted great word pictures for what it was like to walk in the shoes of a young Amish woman. The overarching story focused on Jolene, but there was also several sub plots that were equally as engaging as her own.

I felt as though the author really had a handle on circumstances that could actually go on within the Amish church and how they would be handled. I began to really care about the characters and feel a sense of injustice for the situations they were going through. This wasn't a book that brushed past conflict and resolved it quickly. Time was taken to really develop the characters and the plot.

This was a book about grace, hope, redemption, and second chances. Four things that I think we all could use in our lives. I would highly recommend this book for someone who enjoys inspirational fiction.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment