Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Mean Girls

I am 34 years old and I still have to deal with mean girls. I know this is ridiculous, but true. And I am not just talking about the mean girls that my daughter comes across at her elementary school. I am talking about adult mean girls. Girls that seem to have no regard for the feelings of others and will do whatever it takes to get their way. I call them girls because I am not sure that they have earned the title of Woman based on their behavior.

There are mean girls out there that will do whatever it takes to be the queen bee. They will manipulate, exclude, gossip, slander, and verbally abuse to get what they want. Why? Why are females doing this to one another? It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.

Shouldn't we be sticking together? Shouldn't we be building each other up with encouragement? Shouldn't we be loving one another? Many women are wonderful at this. I have some amazing friends that accept me for who I am. They love me for being me. They are their for me when I need support and they don't judge me for my imperfections.

But unfortunately there are mean girls out there who do the opposite. They like to point out our flaws. They take pride in making us feel badly about ourselves. And they don't do this in an in your face kind of way, but in an underhanded manipulative way.

Finding friends who you can trust and rely on is so hard. You have to be vulnerable and put yourself out there. You risk getting hurt for the reward that having a great friend can bring to you. We as women need to start saying NO to these mean girls. We have to stop letting them win. Because guess what, even as adults we still divert back to our teenage ways. And for some reason those mean girls were often the most popular and had the most friends. And it is still that way with 34 year old mean girls.

Well, I say enough is enough. Stick up for yourselves ladies! Walk away from these girls who think they can control you. It takes courage to do it. It's scary. But I know you can do it. If you are stuck in an abusive relationship with a mean girl who is holding all the cards, it is not too late to get out. There are amazing women out there who will love you for you. Your friendship will be mutually rewarding.

As Christians, I think we feel as though we are honoring God by staying in these abusive relationships, but I do not believe that God wants you to feel beat down and discouraged and bullied. He wants the exact opposite. Don't be afraid to walk away from a damaging friendship. I encourage you to pray and ask God for the courage to be strong and stand up for yourself before you lose your sense of self. And I would encourage you to pray for God to bring the right friend in your life. He will hear your prayer and if you keep your eyes open you will find the supportive, encouraging, and loving friend and sister in Christ.

Stay strong sisters and support each other!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment